REPORTS TO: Chief of Staff / Process Improvement
General Definition and Scope of Job
The Onboarding Technical Trainer will prepare employees to accomplish job results by planning, conducting, and evaluating all Electronic Medical Record (EMR) training. The Trainer will provide technical, educational, and case support for all new as well as existing employees. This position performs work that requires a high degree of independence and works cross-functionally with multiple departments. She/he will exercise independent judgment in planning, organizing, and performing work while developing and maintaining curricula such as manuals and supporting learning tools utilized in training and reference materials. Prepares and delivers presentations, demonstrations, train-the-trainer, and end user classes, with special training as needed. She/he will evaluate the effectiveness of employed training methods and make necessary adjustments. Trainer will serve as the EMR expert in all functionality. Escalates problems as required to appropriate staff, management, and/or vendor to ensure problems are resolved in a timely manner and is responsible for the completion of assigned tasks/projects on time. Other duties will include, but not limited to, special projects as assigned.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Onboarding Technical Trainer plays an integral role in ensuring that all employees within the organization receive a comprehensive EMR training as it relates to their position, providing additional support as needed. She/he will work with multiple departments to determine required functionality for each role and create curricula with the support of departments/Chief of Staff, updating as necessary. The Onboarding Technical Trainer will also create training and reference materials, updating as necessary. She/he will review new functionality realized by the EMR and determine need to incorporate within the organization, training staff on new functionality as appropriate. This position will also be active within Portal training and engagement.
- Provide daily support to end users through troubleshooting and coaching
- Provide EMR orientation and onboarding for all new staff
- Develop and maintains training materials for new employees as well as reference materials
- Determines training needs for all staff and oversees the development of courses to meet those needs
- Monitor learning progress of new employees and provide additional reinforcement as necessary
- Review EMR release notes and provide training for relevant functionality for clinical and non-clinical staff
- Deliver training in both classroom and individual settings
- Evaluates training by evaluating effectiveness of training methods
- Collaborates with all departments in creating and sequential updating of position specific EMR curricula
- Provides remedial training as necessary
- Assists with learning new Portal functionality and training appropriate staff
- Maintains records of all completed trainings, competencies, materials, etc
- Participates in meetings as required
Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements
- Associates degree required, Bachelors preferred
- General knowledge of clinical operations, policies, procedures, and workflow
- Excellent organization skills to effectively manage day-to-day project and operational tasks, establish priorities, and is flexible to accommodate changes in priorities to reflect the needs of the work environment
- Required EMR experience, experience with AthenaHealth preferred
- Ability to understand EMR software use and workflows
- Flexible, adaptable, and resourceful, with a willingness and ability to self-teach and learn quickly
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to cooperatively work with people from all organization levels contributing to the success of the team by collaborating in group activity, prioritization, and decision making
- Maintain a professional demeanor especially under stressful circumstances
- Comfortable teaching in a classroom setting or one-on-one training
Required Certifications and Licenses
- Critical Demands of the Job
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately;
- Ability to function in a faced paced setting;
- Attention to details and prompt follow up;
- Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight; and,
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
May be required to work a rotating schedule as the department requires. This includes evenings, holidays and weekends.