REPORTS TO: Chief Financial Officer
REVIEWED/REVISED: October 2019
Manet Community Health Center is a federally qualified community health center that is fully licensed by the Department of Public Health and accredited by The Joint Commission. Manet serves all patients regardless of their ability to pay or health insurance status and is especially committed to providing services for the medically underserved and ensuring that patients have access to the highest quality patient care. Manet has five locations, three in Quincy, one in Hull and one in Taunton, Massachusetts.
General Definition and Scope of Job:
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller is responsible for overseeing all operations in connection with financial matters including but not limited to accounts payable, payroll, budgeting, expenditures, liabilities, assets and procedures for transacting financial matters of the organization. Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer the Controller, maintains the accuracy and compliance of the accounting system ensuring accounting practices and governmental regulations as well as internal controls are being met company wide. This position will prepare the operational budget, administer grants and program funding, lead audits and annual tax preparation as well as assist the CFO in the area of company financial reporting and modeling.
As the number-two executive for the CFO, the Controller will assist in preparing presentations to the board finance committee and will work closely with the Senior Management Team as directed. The Controller will lead all day to day finance operations and supervise a team of 4-5 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, payroll, contracts and billing and grants administration, emphasizing and modeling core values of integrity excellence and accountability. At the direction of the CFO, the Controller will provide and direct procedures and systems necessary to maintain proper records and to ensure adequate accounting controls.
Required Certifications and Licenses
BSBA with major in finance or accounting required. MBA a plus. Supervisory/Management Experience Required. Previous experience in healthcare or FQHC-Preferred. Active CPA desired, not required.
The qualified candidate for this position must have proven successful nonprofit management or Healthcare experience overseeing the finances of complex organizations with multiple programs and funding sources both government and private. He/she will bring a mix of energy, flexibility, vision, sense of urgency, willingness to make tough decisions and ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the organization.
- Supervise overall maintenance of accounting and cost accounting records for all financial transactions of all programs, in accordance with the funding agencies requirements and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
- Oversee cash flow planning and ensure availability of funds as needed. Monitors cash flow to assure resources for payroll and taxes, to meet timely loan requirements, and maintain payables within 30-60 days.
- Oversee cash, investment, and asset management. Maximizes return, and limits risk, on cash by minimizing bank balances.
- Prepares budgets by establishing schedules; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans.
- Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective action.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans. Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends.
- Complies with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Develop and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives.
- Develop financial business plans and forecasts.
- Prepare/supervise monthly general ledger close, including account reconciliations
- Financial management of grants/contracts, including developing budgets, monthly billings and ensuring proper recording of activity. Works closely with the development team to coordinate the grant accounting process and reporting to funders.
- Manages and assures completion and filing of all financial, cost reports, UDS and tax filings. Maintains current knowledge of cost reports and other financial regulations through participation in workshops and trainings.
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting for federal and state funders, foundations, and board of directors as appropriate.
- Participates in the evaluation and implementation of new general ledger system to support growing, complex organizational needs.
- Remain up to date on nonprofit audit best practices and state and federal law regarding nonprofit operations.
- Coordinate audits and proper filing of tax returns.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Manage account payable and associated contracts to control Manet’s expenditures.
- Coordinate annual financial audit with external auditors
- Perform other duties as assigned or required by the CFO.
Minimum Skills and Experience
Eight to Ten (8-10) years of progressive experience with ever increasing job responsibilities, preferably in health care environment (preferably in a FQHC/community health center). Supervisory/Management experience required.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies Required:
- Excellent leadership, managerial, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively influence key decisions and business strategy.
- Great organizational skills, judgement and business instincts.
- Strong decision making skills and ability to use sound judgement.
- Demonstrated ability to be a team leader and team member. Ability and willingness to roll up their sleeves and get things done
- Knowledge of financial accounting, payroll, accounts payable, budgeting, grants/contract accounting, internal controls, auditing, information technology and reporting principles within a health care environment (preferably a community health center);
- Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures;
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts and/or projections;
Critical Demands of the Job:
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately;
- Ability to function in a fast-paced setting with a variety of patients and staff;
- Attention to details and prompt follow up;
- Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight;
- Must be responsive to multiple deadlines.
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings;
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff; and,
- Will comply with all applicable laws, and will cooperate with the Manet Community Health Center compliance program rules and regulations.
May be required to work evenings, holidays or weekends, if department requires.
Please send resumes to: email@example.com