REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing and Clinical Services
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
General Definition and Scope of Job
A Women’s Health Care Manager is responsible for assessing, planning, documenting and evaluating nursing care of patients. Emphasis is placed on patient triage and operational flow. The nurse is expected to provide guidance to the ancillary staff. Care managers participate in organizational objectives including performance improvement and assisting with the training and orientation of newly hired nursing personnel. The nurse works in a collaborative relationship with medicine and administration.
Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Has knowledge of nursing and medical principles including disease processes, certain examinations, observations, and laboratory studies; appropriately applies those principles to practice and procedure;
- Possesses and displays the ability to act independently within the scope of the Nurse Practice Act and consistently utilizes good judgment in patient care and the resolution of problems both clinical and non-clinical;
- Consistently utilizes good judgment in the resolution of problems, clinical and non-clinical;
- Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations; and
- Demonstrates self-direction and motivation in activities which enhance patient care. Anticipates new problems and is part of the problem solving process.
Required Certifications and Licenses
Massachusetts license to practice professional nursing
Current CPR certification
Previous experience in ambulatory care, women’s health specialty preferred
Preferred BSN for RN
- Schedules and completes registration for Prenatal Patients. Interviews patients for complete medical histories. Designs a plan of nursing care based on assessment of physical, emotional and social needs and in collaboration with Prenatal Provider, patient and family. Provides triage management of Prenatal Case Bucket and patient phone calls.
- Works collaboratively with members of the Sexual and Reproductive Health Team to provide family planning services and program development.
- Performs therapeutic measures within the health center policies and/or prescribed by medical authority. Institutes actions based on legal guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act.
- Has the ability to interpret the plan of care to the patient and the family.
- Facilitates follow-up patient care when indicated which includes: labs, ultrasounds and other diagnostic tests.
- Keeps informed of and utilize supportive services and referral channels for the accomplishment of quality care.
- Collaboratively works with other caretakers toward patient education including promotion of mental and physical health. Current health information and materials are to be made available to the patient and family. This includes participation in the development of patient education material.
- Attend off site meetings and programs.
- Act as resource to staff regrading Prenatal and Sexual and Reproductive Health Programs and resources.
- Schedule staff education programs.
- Schedule monthly Prenatal and Sexual and Reproductive Health Team meetings.
- Participates in the orientation of new nursing, medical assistant and medical staff.
Critical Demands of the Job
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately.
- Must participate in interdisciplinary team based care.
- Ability to function in a fast paced setting with a variety of patients and staff.
- Attention to details and prompt follow up.
- Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
May be required to work a rotating schedule as the department requires. This includes evenings, holidays and weekends.