REPORTS TO: Prevention Specialist Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
General Definition and Scope of Job:
Reporting to the HIV Program Director, the Prevention Specialist will provide prevention and outreach strategies to populations that are at risk for developing HIV infection, STI’s, and viral hepatitis. Perform opioid overdose prevention, outreach and counseling, narcan enrollment syringe access, overdose follow-ups and referrals strategies to populations that are at risk for opioid overdose Strategies include group level and individual level interventions. Collaborate with community groups and agencies as needed to advance the prevention/education models that are implemented and streamline referrals.
- Work with prevention team to identify high risk populations in the Quincy, Weymouth, Hull and surrounding communities to focus prevention outreach efforts.
- Work with prevention team to assist with the development and implementation of strategies for providing prevention and education to identified populations both to individuals and groups.
- Screen, interview and counsel individuals who feel they are at risk of HIV/STI/Hep C infection.
- Collect specimens (blood/urine) and swabs for HIV/ STI and Hepatitis C testing from individuals who feel that they are at risk of HIV infection as well as send such specimens to appropriate testing sites.
- Provide and distribute all appropriate materials, such as condoms, syringes, bleach, printed material and other harm reduction material designed to decrease the target population’s risk.
- Develop and provide appropriate referrals for clients in need of services.
- Perform individual level interventions.
- Facilitate educational groups in the community.
- Assume role as HIV/STI/Hepatitis C content and resource specialist for Manet’s providers and staff.
- Attend meetings, conferences and training to expand knowledge of HIV disease and related topics (STI’s, Hepatitis C, substance abuse, harm reduction, etc.) and be current on new developments as required by supervisor or designee.
- The position requires a flexible schedule in order to provide appropriate targeted outreach. Evening hours required.
- Complete all necessary paperwork in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Establish and maintain a good rapport and harmonious relationships with staff, clients, and other program related individuals.
- Execute duties to reflect reasonable safety standards. Universal/standard precautions must be utilized and training obtained in areas that constitute risk.
- Must have dependable/reliable transportation as position requires travel to and from client sites and external trainings.
- Perform duties consistent with Manet Community Health Center’s policies and procedures.
- Perform other related work duties as needed or as required by supervisor or designee.
Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum two years working in health education, substance abuse services or HIV services.
- Knowledge of HIV, STI and Hepatitis transmission required.
- Demonstrates a level of comfort working with diverse populations; people recently released from prison, substance users, gay/bisexual men and women, homeless people, and workers in the sex industry.
- Phlebotomy experience preferred, willingness to learn required.
- Self-directed, flexible, excellent teaching and interpersonal skills.
- Displays excellent judgment skills.
- Demonstrates ability to strictly adhere to confidentiality requirements
- Demonstrates strong attention to detail with excellent record-keeping skills..
- Has reliable transportation
- Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
Critical Demands of the Job:
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to function in a faced paced setting with a variety of patients and staff.
- Attention to details and prompt follow up.
- Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
Required Certifications and Licenses:
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
- Will comply with all applicable laws, and will cooperate with the Manet Community Health Center compliance program rules and regulations.
May be required to work evenings, holidays or weekends, if department requires.