POSITION TITLE: Patient Services Representative
REPORTS TO: Practice Supervisor
General Definition and Scope of Job
The Patient Services Representative is the first point of contact and is responsible for answering calls, greeting and registering patients who present for service. The Patient Services Representative will obtain all necessary demographic and financial information to complete the patient registration process to ensure legal and accurate billing and medical record input and schedule appointment or answer patient inquires. Responsible to obtain all appropriate authorizations and/or referrals; Collect Point of Service payments as appropriate and accurately record payments. The Patient Service Representative will serve as a point of contact in partnership with other internal and external departments to foster and promote an environment of patient comfort and trust.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Manage calls, inquiries, and appointment schedules to ensure quality and timely patient customer service.
- Collect mandatory patient information to ensure accurate demographic entries.
- Coordinate patient information collection related to Sliding Fee Scale program.
- Obtain needed insurance referral and/or authorization for services.
- Verify current patient insurance eligibility and benefits to ensure accurate and timely remittance.
- Collect patient payments.
- Responsible for scanning of documents, consults, letters and other written materials that need to go to Medical Records.
- Connect patient to Navigators/Financial Counselors to assist with financial concerns or inability to pay.
- Ensure accurate and timely information exchange with clinical staff.
- Encourage patients to register for Patient Portal and assist with the process.
- Disseminate and collect patient satisfaction survey and/or other data for routine reporting.
- Maintain patient waiting areas and front-desk areas in a manner that is organized, neat and clean.
- Maintains signage and clarity of information displayed in reception area. Monitors audio or visual images for appropriate programming and volume levels to ensure a non-intrusive and calming environment.
- Informs patient of any existing balance noted in their account.
- Exercises problem-solving and conflict resolution skills when handling patient complaints; refers patient complaints to appropriate designated personnel as needed.
- Attends scheduled department staff and clinical meetings.
- Practices confidentiality and privacy protocols in accordance to Manet policies and HIPAA requirements.
- Acts as a liaison between the patient and other areas to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- Must be flexible in work schedule and location, as work hours and location may vary based upon business needs.
- Must possess reliable transportation as travel to, from and between work locations may be required.
- Performs other duties as may be required. Other responsibilities will vary by practice and may include, but are not limited to: Check out, Schedules necessary follow-up appointments. Provides patient with any relevant educational materials / patient care summary as indicated.
- Contacts the appropriate departments when repairs or services are needed and follows through on these tasks. Monitors and supports patients and visitors entering and leaving the practice.
Critical Demands of the Job
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to function in a fast paced setting with a variety of patients and staff.
- Attention to details and prompt follow up.
- Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements
- High School Diploma required. Associates Degree Preferred
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ relevant work experience in customer service or related field, preferably in a medical or health care setting.
- Should have familiarity with health insurances, managed care requirements and state assistance programs.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to read and write English.
- Requires great attention and ability to exercise sound judgement.
- Ability to listen effectively.
- Requires demonstrated proficiency with computers and data entry.
- Must have excellent phone etiquette.
- Commitment to service excellence is a must.
- Bi-lingual/Multi-Lingual a plus. Cantonese, Mandarin, Arabic, Portuguese or Spanish language skills preferred.
Required Certifications and Licenses
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
May be required to work a rotating schedule as the department requires. This includes evenings, holidays and weekends.