POSITION TITLE: Medical Assistant 1(MA)
REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing and Clinical Services
Manet Community Health Center is a federally qualified community health center that is fully licensed by the Department of Public Health and accredited by The Joint Commission. Manet serves all patients regardless of their ability to pay or health insurance status and is especially committed to providing services for the medically underserved and ensuring that patients have access to the highest quality patient care. Manet has five locations, three in Quincy, one in Hull and one in Taunton, Massachusetts.
General Definition and Scope of Job
The MA will assist in the provision of direct and indirect services to patients. He/she will respond to a variety of health center needs including assisting patients, families, nurses, physicians, and mid-level providers. He/she works under direct supervision of the RN and Lead MA.
The Medical Assistant actively supports, promotes and works to fulfill the mission of Manet CHC as well as provide excellent customer service to external and internal customers.
- Works in collaboration with the Primary Care Team to ensure optimum patient care.
- Accurately measures and documents vital signs according to patient need and written protocol.
- Documents chief complaint accurately and briefly.
- Provides assistance with patient exams.
- Provides set up of all necessary supplies and equipment.
- Instructs and assists patients in collection of specimens.
- Arranges for diagnostic tests as needed and instructs patients and/or family for the preparation of diagnostic testing.
- Serves as a patient advocate.
- Willing to maintain a special project within his/her scope of function and knowledge.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new staff members/medical assistant students following current orientation protocols.
- Assumes responsibility for exam room cleanliness and safety.
- Stocks supplies and patient literature in patient exam rooms.
- Sterilizes equipment as needed keeping proper documentation record.
- Cleans and organizes the clean and dirty utility rooms.
- Orders and maintains inventory of supplies.
- Has the knowledge and ability to function at the front desk: appointment booking, check in/check out, and answering phones.
- Demonstrates self-direction and motivation in activities which enhance patient care.
- Anticipates new problems and is part of the problem solving process.
- Required to work evening, weekends and holiday rotation; and rotate between Manet Sites as needed.
- Performs other job related duties as needed or assigned.
- Able to perform point-of-care testing for diagnostic tests and collect other specimens for diagnostic
- Performs proficiency testing according to POC protocol as least yearly on all test trained to perform.
- Adheres to the POC quality control policies and documents all quality control activities (QC Log Sheets, Outliers Log Sheets).
- Follows and documents the POC corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the lab’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Participates in patient care audit and quality assurance program.
- Performs all maintenance required according to established POC protocol.
- Maintains POC testing area and equipment in neat, orderly condition.
- Correctly tracks laboratory reports according to established protocols.
- Understands all record retention requirements of POC.
- Follows all established POC safety protocols.
- Monitors day to day operations of required POC testing and report concerns.
- Escalates and documents problems through proper channels in accordance with Manet Compliance Programs.
- Ensures proper disposal of contaminated materials and specimens.
- Documents in patient case/order with dates, purpose, return name/number, and all necessary information for follow-up.
- Participates in staff and site meetings on a regular basis.
- Flexible and willing to work at all sites when needed.
- Performs other job related duties as required or assigned
Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Graduate of Certified Medical Assistant Program.
- Preferred 1-2 years of experience as a medical assistant.
- Current CPR certification.
- Completion of Advance Medical Assistant Training within one year of employment.
Required Certifications and Licenses
Critical Demands of the Job
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to function in a fast paced setting with a variety of patients and staff.
- Attention to details and prompt follow up.
- Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
- Will comply with all applicable laws, and will cooperate with the Manet Community Health Center compliance program rules and regulations.
May be required to work a rotating schedule at various Manet Sites as the department requires. This includes evenings, holidays and weekends.
Please send resumes to: email@example.com