POSITION TITLE: REPORTS TO: REVIEWED/REVISED CLASSIFICATION:
Immunization RN Case Manager Director of Nursing and Clinical Services December 2021
Manet Community Health Center is a federally qualified community health center that is fully licensed by the Department of Public Health and accredited by The Joint Commission. Manet serves all patients regardless of their ability to pay or health insurance status and is especially committed to providing services for the medically underserved and ensuring that patients have access to the highest quality patient care. Manet has five locations, three in Quincy, one in Hull and one in Taunton, Massachusetts.
General Definition and Scope of Job
A Immunization RN Case Manager is responsible for assessing, planning, documenting and evaluating nursing care of patients. Emphasis is placed on patient triage and operational flow. The nurse is expected to provide guidance to the ancillary staff. Nurses participate in organizational objectives including performance improvement and assisting with the training and orientation of newly hired nursing personnel. The nurse works in a collaborative relationship with medicine and administration.
Minimum Skills. Experience and Educational Requirements
1. Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
2. Has knowledge of nursing and medical principles including disease processes, certain examinations, observations, and laboratory studies; appropriately applies those principles to practice and procedure;
3. Possesses and displays the ability to act independently within the scope of the Nurse Practice Act and consistently utilizes good judgment in patient care and the resolution of problems both clinical and non-clinical;
4. Consistently utilizes good judgment in the resolution of problems, clinical and non-clinical;
5. Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations; and
6. Demonstrates self-direction and motivation in activities which enhance patient care. Anticipates new problems and is part of the problem-solving process.
Required Certifications and Licenses Massachusetts license to practice professional nursing CPR
Previous experience in ambulatory care or public health preferred but not required. Preferred BSN for RN
1. Interviews patients for complete medical histories. Designs a plan of nursing care based on assessment of physical, emotional and social needs and in collaboration with the patient and family;
2. Performs therapeutic measures within the health center policies and/or prescribed by medical authority. Institutes actions based on legal guidelines of the Nurse Practice Act;
3. Has the ability to interpret the pian of care to the patient and the family
4. Provides triage management of all patient phone calls and walk-in patients;
5. Facilitates follow-up patient care when indicated;
6. Keeps informed of and utilize supportive services and referral channels for the accomplishment of quality care;
7. Collaboratively works with other caretakers toward patient education and rehabilitation including promotion of mental and physical health. Current health information and materials are to be made available to the patient and family. This1ncludes participation in the development of patient education material;
8. Serves as patient advocate;
9. Assumes responsibility for close surveillance of patients undergoing therapy requiring technical knowledge and skill;
10. Teaches and directs medical assistants;
11. Participates in the orientation of new nursing, medical assistant, and medical staff; and
12. Appropriately documents and communicates patient’s needs through symptoms, objective signs, assessments and plans.
13. Performs other appropriate job duties as assigned
Immunization RN Case Manger Core Responsibilities
1. Vaccine Coordinator for North Quincy and Back Up Coordinator for all sites
2. Coordination, ordering and tracking influenza vaccine and supplies
3. Communicate DPH Advisories to Clinical staff, as indicated coordinate Manet plan to deal with vaccination needs of community
4. Serves as resource and leader regarding Childhood Immunization Program
5. Coordinate transfer of vaccines due to site shortage or weather emergencies
6. Report out of range temperatures and vaccine transfers to Vaccine Unit
7. Provide education to nurses on MIIS database, for use to obtain vaccine records, update patient medical record and review of vaccines due at visit
8. Orientation of new Providers and Nurses to Childhood Immunization Program
9. Provide education to Medical Assistants on update of vaccine records, supervise outreach to parents
10. Serve as contact/resource for all school districts and programs that Manet consults to
11. Participant of Pediatric Triad with inclusion and communication to all sites
12. Accountable for completion/resolution of “missed opportunities” through document review and updates to MIIS and medical records, streamline workflow to increase efficiency with project
13. Accountable for Childhood Immunization Program Quality Measures and means to improve and meet established goals
14. Weekly 4 hours designated to the above
Critical Demands of the Job
1. Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately.
2. Must participate in interdisciplinary team-based care.
3. Ability to function in a faced paced setting with a variety of patients and staff.
4. Attention to details and prompt follow up.
5. Includes walking and standing for long periods of time, sitting for short periods of time, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight.
6. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
1. Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
2. Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
May be required to work a rotating schedule as the department requires. This includes evenings, holidays and weekends.