REPORTS TO: Director of Information Technology
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
General Definition and Scope of Job
The EHR Site Specialist will be responsible for the design coordination, training and implementation of applications. EHR Site Specialist is the key interface between clinical, operations and the Information Technology (IT) department. The EHR Site Specialist is responsible for identifying, defining, reporting, analyzing, form development, troubleshooting application issues, prioritizing and refining business requirements. The EHR Site Specialist supports the EHR, provides onsite and phone support and guidance to users and the IT help desk. This position serves as the key point of contact with athena software vendors, advocating for Manet’s needs and monitoring ongoing vendor support response. This position must understand business requirements as well as logical and physical data models in order to build high quality standard reports. The EHR Site Specialist should be able to propose solutions with the scope of the existing operating systems, clinical processes and workflows as well as assess business value of those solutions.
- Provide daily support to end users through troubleshooting and coaching
- Identify, assess and resolve application and equipment issues as they occur
- Maintain system setup such as creating new users in Athena
- Monitor CSC tickets to ensure issues are resolved
- Identify complex problems, their probable causes, their impact on operations, report them to the appropriate parties, offer possible solutions, while exhibiting judgment and realistic understanding of issues; able to independently and/or collaboratively bring problems to complete resolution
Analysis and Reporting
- Workflow analysis, design, and development of clinical solutions including customized encounter forms, and custom clinical lists.
- Collaborate with key business users to ensure business requirements and report specifications are documented accurately and completely
- Confer with all levels of the health center to analyze how existing operating systems may be improved or develop plans for a new system or workflow
- Develops, tests and deploys standard reports and dashboards based on business requirements
- Maintain and prioritize backlog of requested enhancements and new reports originating from both stakeholders and in support of IT infrastructure
- Author functional requirements documents for new features, enhancements or fixes and ensure that stakeholders needs are met
- Coordinate the development of system or manual workarounds in the various departments
- Enhance, test and implement new application features
- Present solutions to management for approval and document issue resolution.
- Develop customer relationships and integrate activities with other teams to ensure successful implementation and support of project efforts.
- Analyze, articulate, and document current state workflows, business requirements, and barriers to optimizing patient safety, patient experience, resource efficiency, and revenue capture.
- Demonstrates ability to facilitate workflow redesign; documents workflow changes, identifies impacts on software configuration, collaborates with appropriate staff to change software configuration.
- May facilitate clinical content or workflow change management sessions with staff, leaders, and providers; documents outcomes of sessions and follows those changes through to completion.
- Maintains current knowledge of operational policies, procedures, workflows, and relevant regulatory standards.
- Maintains proficiency in software functionality and use.
- Acts as a change agent in support of organizational goals.
- Orientation and onboarding for all new staff
- Develop and maintains training materials
- Monitor learning progress and provide additional reinforcement leading up to and during implementation up to 60 days after go live
- Develops EHR and software application competency program and works closely with the clinic to improve overall usability for EHR
- Review athenahealth release notes and create a documentation for clinical and non-clinical staff
- Deliver training in both formal classroom and informal individual settings
Other Expectations of Site Specialist
- Attend appropriate clinic department meetings as the EHR expert
- Attend bi-weekly development meetings
- Participate in weekly department meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
Minimum Skills, Experience and Educational Requirements
- Associates degree required, Bachelors preferred or 5-7 years equivalent experience
- General knowledge of clinical operations, policies, procedures and workflow
- Excellent organizational skills to effectively manage day-to-day project and operational tasks; establish priorities and is flexible to accommodate changes in priorities to reflect the needs of the work environment.
- Ability to identify system constraints or gaps in business requirements and effectively communicate issues/risks to stakeholder and project team in a timely manner
- Required EHR experience
- Experience with athenahealth preferred
- Ability to understand Electronic Health Record software use and workflows and how those relate to data definitions and reporting
- Flexible, adaptable and resourceful, with a willingness and ability to self-teach and learn quickly
- Ability to design and build systems to solve complicated inter-related processes.
- Demonstrated ability with report writers, basic HTML, Excel, Access SQL, Run Script analysis and other software analysis tools.
- A basic understanding of HL7 messaging will assure accurate and timely interface messaging with ancillary systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to cooperatively work with people from all organizational levels contributing to the success of the team by collaborating in group activity, prioritization and decision making
- Maintain a professional demeanor especially under stressful circumstances
- Experience with Power BI
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record with reliable transportation
Critical Demands of the Job
- Manage multiple requests and prioritize appropriately.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced setting with a variety of patients and staff.
- Attention to details and prompt follow up.
- Includes walking and standing for long periods, sitting for short periods, hand dexterity, clear hearing and speaking ability. Must be able to lift a maximum of 1/3 of their body weight.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Works in well-lighted environment with comfortable surroundings.
- Stressful at times due to competing demands, including attention to multiple patients and staff.
May be required to work a rotating schedule, as the department requires. This includes evenings, holidays and weekends.